Matrix designs, manufactures, and sells innovative technological products that help keep people safe. Originally focused on the underground coal mining industry, Matrix has expanded into new industrial markets in the United States and globally.
We are currently seeking an Electrical Engineer. This position works in a team environment at our home office in Newburgh, IN. This is not a remote position.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the design, development, prototyping, and testing of safety-related electronic/electrical products and equipment. Will also be required to support the manufacturing and installation of equipment/products and provide support and training to technicians and field services personnel. Support activities may take the form of e-mails, phone calls, site visits at vendor or partner facilities, and some fieldwork, in an underground mining environment, supporting initial product installations and testing or troubleshooting abnormal or unusual issues observed in the field. Candidate must be a self-starter, with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work alone or in a small team.
This position reports to the Manager of Hardware Systems.
- Participate in product design meetings with members of other groups (management, sales, marketing, software, mechanical, manufacturing, etc.) to gather requirements
- Assist in the development of product specifications (may require research of regulatory requirements for a given market and based on general requirements provided)
- Lead design reviews
- Design circuits and PCBs to meet product specifications
- Build and test design prototypes for proof of concept
- Perform PCB layout of a circuit
- Design fixture/system to test PCB assembly and/or finished product assembly as well as the procedure for performing tests and documenting the results
- Manage the build of first-run prototypes with PCB assembly house
- Aid in the transfer of design information to the manufacturing department for production
- Provide technical support and training to installation technicians, repair technicians, and field services personnel as needed
- Develop possible solutions to specific engineering challenges and develop a plan for testing and documenting the effectiveness of those solutions
- Create and maintain various forms of documentation such as manufacturing drawings, regulatory approval drawings, test procedures, test reports, user manuals, product specifications, evaluation reports, engineering proposals/estimates, technical reports, etc.
- Work on projects, both in groups and independently
- Occasionally perform testing and/or otherwise gather information in the areas where our products will be used (such as a coal or other type of mine for example)
- Mentor younger engineers
Qualifications & Competencies:
- BS Electrical Engineering, BS Computer Engineering, or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience in an Electrical/Electronic Engineering role designing schematics and performing PCB layouts for the development of electronic products
- PCB schematic and layout design proficiency is required; Altium Designer is preferred
- Must have thorough working knowledge and design experience with basic and complex analog, digital, and power circuits and associated implementation techniques
- Must have advanced electrical test, measurement, analysis, and troubleshooting skills
- Experience using various types of lab test equipment like DMMs, power supplies, function generators, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and oscilloscopes is necessary
- Proficiency in DFx techniques (Design for Test, Assembly, Manufacturability)
- Experience with RF circuit design and/or intrinsically safe circuit design is desired
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to manage time and keep up with multiple concurrent projects
- The majority of the work will take place in a typical office setting (cubicle, desk, chair, computer, etc.) or in a lab/testing/development area (lab benches, test equipment, etc.)
- Occasional travel to vendor or partner facilities may be required (such as a contract manufacturing or engineering facility) but are rarely any different from the office conditions
- Occasional travel to end-use locations, in an underground mining environment, supporting initial product installations and testing or troubleshooting abnormal or unusual issues observed in the field
- Matrix employees are furnished with and required to wear safety gear such as hard hats, steel toe shoes, reflective clothing, earplugs, and safety glasses when working in those locations requiring such protective gear
- First day coverage of all benefits - no waiting period
- No premium medical, dental and vision insurance
- Basic Life (2x annual base salary and no cost)
- Optional Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability insurance (no cost)
- 401(k) Plan with up to an 8% company match
- FSA for Health Care and Dependent Care
- 10 Paid annual holidays plus vacation time
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Scholarship Program
The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, or crouch. The employee may need to lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.